9 plastic-free festival essentials you need to stock up on, stat

Whatsapp Google+ Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr +

If you’ve ever attended a music festival, you’ll know just how much rubbish it can create. According to Powerful Thinking, every year there is roughly 23,500 tonnes of waste produced at festivals on UK soil, which equates to an average of 2.98kg per person, every single day. But only 32% of that waste is actually recycled, the remaining 68% is sent to landfills and then eventually – sadly – the ocean. It’s also been reported that there will be more plastic in our seas than fish by 2050. Now that’s a terrifying thought. 

So, with just a little bit of preparation, we can help keep our earth green and oceans clean, by swapping out single-use plastics for reusable and more sustainable alternatives. 

From metal straws to biodegradable wipes, consider this the ultimate plastic-free festival kit…

Reusable water bottles

reusable-water-bottle

Single-use water bottles are readily available and inexpensive to buy but a million bottles are thrown away every minute around the world, which has caused a devastating effect on the planet. Reusable bottles are a lot better for the environment and cheaper in the long run than continuously buying bottled water, plus, there are so many adorable colours and styles to choose from.

Bamboo toothbrushes

bamboo-brush

Keeping clean is one of the chores of a crowded music festival – the long walk to the nearest sink and shower, not to mention the queues! Eliminate unnecessary waste and polish those pearly whites with an eco-friendly bamboo toothbrush – did you know bamboo is actually naturally antimicrobial?

Reusable cups

metal-cup

They may not look as glamorous as most glasses, but they’re a massive upgrade from the disposal red cup. They’re easy to clean and maintain, they’re basically indestructible and can last a lift time. Win, win and win.

Metal straws

reusable-straw

Plastic straws contain BPA, a chemical which increases the risks of cancer and heart problems and, according to Eco at Heart, plastic straws are one of the top ten most common items of waste found in the oceans and is extremely detrimental to marine life. Affordable and dishwasher safe, metal straws are rust and scratch proof, plus they can even help keep your drink cold (or hot) for a little longer.

Biodegradable glitter

biodegradable-glitter

As magical as it is to imagine a sea full of glitter, our finned friends would heartily disagree. It may seem harmless but glitter is made from microplastic which sea creatures mistake as food, with fatal consequences. Luckily, there is tons of biodegradable glitter on the market that we can bathe in without harming the environment – because a festival needs glitter, after all.

Package-free soap, shampoo and conditioner

lush-soap-bar

A great way to really cut down the amount of plastic use when attending festivals is by going package free. Instead of packing bottles, Lush have a haven of delicious smelling shampoo, conditioner, soap and even deodorant bars. Don’t forget to pack a round tin to store them in while traveling.

Wooden cutlery set

wooden-cutlery

Isn’t it annoying when plastic utensil snap while your eating? What’s worse is using yet another plastic replacement. Made from 100% wood, this cutlery set contains no harmful chemicals or pesticides and won’t snap into pieces while being used.

Biodegradable wipes

biodegradable-wipes

Let’s face it, when attending festivals personal hygiene tends to go out the window. That’s when wet wipes come in handy. Formulated with organic aloe vera and chamomile extracts, these biodegradable wipes are safer for the environment and gentle on sensitive skin.

Net bags

net-bag

It would seem rather counterproductive to be carrying all those eco-friendly items in a crumpled old plastic bag, so why not opt for a cute net bag that can be used over and over again.

Share.