Spring is hiding around the corner, along with the promise of better weather (fingers crossed), and it’s nearly time for McDonald’s Monopoly to start again, hurrah! So in celebration of our favourite games return, we’ve rounded up everything we know about this year’s game. If you need us we’ll be at the nearest McDonald’s…
How does it work?
Think of it like regular Monopoly, but with more prizes and the added benefit of getting delicious McDonald’s food.
Customers can play the game by purchasing qualifying food items, then peeling back the packaging reveals stickers; some food items give you two stickers and some give you three. Some of the stickers equate to instant wins such as free fries, or by collecting properties to complete property sets you can win bigger prizes including actual cash. Make sure to pick up a game board to add your pieces to.
When does it start?
2019 will mark the 14th year of McDonald’s Monopoly, although we don’t have an official start date yet we’re pretty confident it will make a comeback soon. Last year the game started on 21 March and ended on 1 May, so we can probably expect something similar this year as it usually starts in March.
What are the prizes?
As expected McDonald’s are keeping their 2019 prizes firmly under wraps, but if last year’s prizes are anything to go by we’re in for a treat again this year. Last year they gave out over 50,000,000 prizes including 1.5 million medium meals, Missguided vouchers, NowTV passes, Mini Coopers and 4 lots of £100,000.
As well as the big prizes the game also has loads of instant win prizes, which give players free food and drink items such as free fries, hash browns, drinks, McFlurrys and more. Plus, last year by collecting any 10 property stickers you could exchange them online for a free one-month NowTV pass. Score.
Here’s a breakdown of last years top prizes:
• Brown set – McDonald’s medium extra value meal – 1,500,000 available
• Light blue set – £30 Missguided voucher – 12,000 available
• Pink set – Wireless speaker – 2,000 available
• Orange set – £250 experience with Red Letter Days – 800 available
• Train set – NowTV smart box and a one year pass – 10,000 available
• Red set – Xbox One console – 400 available
• Yellow set – a trip for four to Universal Orlando – 20 available
• Green set – Mini Cooper – 15 available
• Dark blue set – £100,000 cash – 4 available
Which food items qualify?
When it comes to getting as many Monopoly stickers as possible, size matters. Medium-sized food items will earn you two stickers each and large-sized food items have three stickers. Macca’s haven’t announced their qualifying food items for 2019 but we expect them to be pretty similar to last year.
The following menu items qualified for Monopoly stickers last year:
• Medium fries
• Large fries
• Medium soft drink
• Large soft drink
• Premium Salad (excluding Shaker Side Salad)
• Chicken Legend
• Chicken Legend with Bacon
• Chicken Selects – 3 or 5 pieces
• Big Tasty
• Big Tasty with Bacon
• The Signature Collection
• Cadbury Creme Egg or Cadbury Caramel McFlurry
• Mozzarella Dippers
• Big Flavour Wrap
• Regular Iced Frappé/Iced Fruit Smoothie
• Large Iced Frappé/ Iced Fruit Smoothie
• Shaker Side Salads
• Medium or large hot drinks or drinks served in a bottle or carton
What are the rare stickers?
No word yet on which pieces will be most coveted this year, although as with previous years the board is likely to follow the structure of a classic Monopoly board, with properties such as Mayfair, Strand and Bond Street being the most valuable.
Here’s a breakdown of last year’s rarest stickers and the prizes:
Old Kent Road – McDonald’s medium extra value meal
Euston Road – £30 Missguided voucher
Northumberland Avenue – Wireless speaker
Marlborough Street – £250 Red Letter Days voucher
Liverpool Street Station – NowTV box + one year pass
Strand – Xbox One
Coventry Street – Trip for four to Universal Studios Orlando
Bond Street – Mini Cooper
Mayfair – £100,000 cash
What are the ways to win?
As well as the classic method of collecting stickers and property sets, customers can now digitally collect and store their property pieces on the Monopoly website. Plus, for the first time, last year players had the chance to win instant food prizes online. This means there are now four ways to win:
Instant win – peel stickers from McDonald’s food items to win instant prizes such as free food items, cash prizes and more.
Collect to win – collect and complete property sets to win prizes.
Online Win – each sticker has a unique 9-digit code which can be entered online here for the chance to win cash prizes, wireless speakers, Missguided vouchers and more.
Spares – by collecting 10 property stickers of any kind you can exchange them online for a free one-month NowTV pass. Winners of this prize can also choose between a one-month Sky Cinema pass or a one-day Sky Sports pass. Score.
How to increase your chances of winning?
Aside from eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at McDonald’s every day, which although may seem tempting, we don’t recommend, there are several ways of potentially boosting your chances of winning.
• Know the rare pieces. If you’re lucky enough to find one you’re in a much better position to be able to complete the set and win the big prizes.
• Steer clear of non-stickered items, instead opt for the items which give you the most stickers. Sadly items such as Big Macs, Quarter Pounders and McNuggets do not qualify for stickers *weeps*.
• Similarly don’t just by something because it has stickers, but do look for ways to get more stickers; size matters, large items are worth three stickers while medium items are only worth two. For example instead of ordering a Big Mac meal, instead opt for a large Chicken Selects meal which will earn you nine stickers (3 for the Chicken Selects, 3 for the fries and 3 for the drink).
• One of the stickers will always be an online sticker, and have a nine digit code which can be entered online for a chance to win an online game prize. Don’t forget about these valuable online codes as they’ll give you an extra chance of winning a prize online.
• You should consider what time of day you enter codes online to minimise competition for prizes. Entering codes at peak times such as lunchtime means that there are more people online which could minimise your chances of winning. Instead try entering codes early in the morning or overnight for a better chance of winning a prize.
• Hang onto duplicate property pieces, by collecting 10 property stickers of any kind you can exchange them for a free NowTV pass.
• Keep an eye on the expiration of prizes. Smaller items like food will have a smaller window for claiming the prize, whereas larger prizes may expire after several months.