Spring is hiding around the corner, along with the promise of better weather (fingers crossed), and it’s nearly time for McDonald’s Monopoly to start again, hurrah! So in celebration of our favourite games return, we’ve rounded up everything we know about this year’s game. If you need us we’ll be at the nearest McDonald’s…
When does it start?
It’s official, McDonald’s Monopoly starts again this year on 20 March 2019. This year marks the 14th year of McDonald’s Monopoly so we’re expecting great things.
How does it work?
Think of it like regular Monopoly, but with more prizes and the added benefit of getting delicious McDonald’s food.
Customers can play the game by purchasing qualifying food items, then peeling back the packaging reveals stickers or ‘game pieces’; some food items give you two stickers and some give you three. Some of the stickers equate to instant wins such as free fries, or by collecting properties to complete property sets you can win bigger prizes including actual cash. Make sure to pick up a game board to add your pieces to.
What are the prizes?
We finally know what McDonald’s Monopoly prizes 2019 are! Last year they gave out over 50,000,000 prizes including 1.5 million medium meals, Missguided vouchers, NowTV passes, Mini Coopers and 4 lots of £100,000, and this year is even bigger and better.
As well as the big prizes the game also has loads of instant win prizes, which give players free food and drink items such as free McNuggets, Big Macs, drinks, McFlurrys and more. So without further delay, here’s a breakdown of this year’s top prizes:
- Brown set – McDonald’s medium extra value meal – 2,000,000 available
- Light blue set – £30 boohoo or boohooMAN voucher – 14,000 available
- Pink set – £50 JD Sports gift card – 5000 available
- Orange set – Urbanears wireless headphones – 1000 available
- Train set – Any phone with a 1 year Sky mobile plan – 300 available
- Red set – PS4 Pro console – 500 available
- Yellow set – £2,000 to spend on a holiday – 50 available
- Green set – Mini Cooper – 15 available
- Dark blue set – £100,000 cash – 4 available
Which food items qualify?
When it comes to getting as many Monopoly stickers, or ‘game pieces’, as possible, this year you’ve got more chances than ever, because the majority of the qualifying food items have 3 stickers! The following menu items qualify for Monopoly stickers this year:
- Chicken & Bacon Salad or Chicken Salad
- Chicken Selects® 3 or 5 Pieces
- Chicken Legend®
- Chicken Big Tasty®
- Big Tasty® with Bacon
- Big Tasty® without Bacon
- Any Big Flavour Wrap
- Any item from The Signature Collection™
- Medium Carbonated Soft Drink
- Large Carbonated Soft Drink
- Regular Iced Frappé/Iced Fruit Smoothie
- Large Iced Frappé/Iced Fruit Smoothie
- Medium Fries
- Large Fries
- Mozzarella Dippers
- Cadbury Creme Egg or Cadbury Caramel McFlurry®
- Any meal – Any Main listed above, any other Main not listed above, Medium or Large Fries, any other side (Shaker Side Salads, Vegetable Bags and Fruit Bags), any drink
What are the rare stickers?
As we’ve previously predicted, this year’s board follows the structure of a classic Monopoly board, with properties such as Mayfair, Strand and Bond Street being the most valuable.
Here’s a breakdown of 2019’s rarest stickers and their prizes:
Old Kent Road – McDonald’s medium extra value meal
Euston Road – £30 boohoo or boohooMAN voucher
Northumberland Avenue – £50 JD Sports voucher
Marlborough Street – Urbanears wireless headphones
Liverpool Street Station – Any phone with a 1yr Sky mobile plan
Strand – PS4 Pro game console
Coventry Street – £2000 to spend on a holiday
Bond Street – Mini Cooper
Mayfair – £100,000 cash
What are the ways to win?
As well as the classic method of collecting stickers and property sets, customers can now digitally collect and store their property pieces on the Monopoly website. Plus, for the first time, last year players had the chance to win instant food prizes online. This means there are now four ways to win:
Instant win – peel stickers from McDonald’s food items to win instant prizes such as free food items, cash prizes and more.
Collect to win – collect and complete property sets to win prizes.
Online Win – each sticker has a unique 9-digit code which can be entered online here for the chance to win cash prizes, wireless speakers, Missguided vouchers and more.
How to increase your chances of winning?
Aside from eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at McDonald’s every day, which although may seem tempting, we don’t recommend, there are several ways of potentially boosting your chances of winning.
• Know the rare pieces. If you’re lucky enough to find one you’re in a much better position to be able to complete the set and win the big prizes.
• Steer clear of non-stickered items, instead opt for the items that have a lot of stickers allocated to them, like a Big Mac, McChicken Sandwich or Sausage and Egg McMuffin (ok, if you insist) – each of these have over 1.5million stickers available to score!
• One of the stickers will always be an online sticker, and have a nine digit code which can be entered online for a chance to win an online game prize. Don’t forget about these valuable online codes as they’ll give you an extra chance of winning a prize online.
• You should consider what time of day you enter codes online to minimise competition for prizes. Entering codes at peak times such as lunchtime means that there are more people online which could minimise your chances of winning. Instead try entering codes early in the morning or overnight for a better chance of winning a prize.
• Keep an eye on the expiration of prizes. Smaller items like food will have a smaller window for claiming the prize, whereas larger prizes may expire after several months.