Spring is just around the corner, along with the promise of better weather (fingers crossed), and it’s time for McDonald’s Monopoly to start again, hurrah! So in celebration of our favourite game’s return we’ve rounded up everything we know about this year’s game, with help from the eagle-eyed editors at The Sun. If you need us we’ll be at the nearest McDonald’s…
How does it work?
Think of it like regular Monopoly, but with more prizes and the added benefit of getting delicious McDonald’s food.
Customers can play the game by purchasing qualifying food items, then peeling back the packaging reveals stickers; some food items give you two stickers and some give you three. Some of the stickers equate to instant wins such as free fries, or by collecting properties to complete property sets you can win bigger prizes including actual cash. Make sure to pick up a game board to add your pieces to.
When does it start?
It’s official, McDonald’s Monopoly is back for it’s 13th year. This year’s game started on 21 March 2018 and will end on 1 May. What are you waiting for? Go, go, go!
What are the ways to win?
As well as the classic method of collecting stickers and property sets, this year the game has a new way to play. Customers can now digitally collect and store their property pieces on the Monopoly website. Plus, for the first time players now have the chance to win instant food prizes online. This means there are now four ways to win:
Instant win – peel stickers from McDonald’s food items to win instant prizes such as free food items, cash prizes and more.
Collect to win – collect and complete property sets to win prizes.
Online Win – each sticker has a unique 9-digit code which can be entered online here for the chance to win cash prizes, wireless speakers, Missguided vouchers and more.
Spares – by collecting 10 property stickers of any kind you can exchange them online for a free one-month NowTV pass. Winners of this prize can also choose between a one-month Sky Cinema pass or a one-day Sky Sports pass. Score.
How to increase your chances of winning?
Aside from eating breakfast, lunch and dinner at McDonald’s everyday, which although may seem tempting, we don’t recommend, there are several ways of potentially boosting your chances of winning.
• Know the rare pieces. If you’re lucky enough to find one you’re in a much better position to be able to complete the set and win the big prizes.
• Steer clear of non-stickered items, instead opt for the items which give you the most stickers. Sadly items such as Big Macs, Quarter Pounders and McNuggets do not qualify for stickers *weeps*.
• Similarly don’t just by something because it has stickers, but do look for ways to get more stickers; size matters, large items are worth three stickers while medium items are only worth two. For example instead of ordering a Big Mac meal, instead opt for a large Chicken Selects meal which will earn you nine stickers (3 for the Chicken Selects, 3 for the fries and 3 for the drink).
• One of the stickers will always be an online sticker, and have a nine digit code which can be entered online for a chance to win an online game prize. Don’t forget about these valuable online codes as they’ll give you an extra chance of winning a prize online.
• You should consider what time of day you enter codes online to minimise competition for prizes. Entering codes at peak times such as lunchtime means that there are more people online which could minimise your chances of winning. Instead try entering codes early in the morning or overnight for a better chance of winning a prize.
• Hang onto duplicate property pieces, by collecting 10 property stickers of any kind you can exchange them for a free NowTV pass.
• Keep an eye on the expiration of prizes. Smaller items like food will have a smaller window for claiming the prize, whereas larger prizes may expire after several months.
Which food items qualify?
When it comes to getting as many Monopoly sticker as possible, size matters. Medium-sized food items will earn you two stickers each and large-sized food items have three stickers.
The following menu items qualify for Monopoly stickers:
• Medium fries
• Large fries
• Medium soft drink
• Large soft drink
• Premium Salad (excluding Shaker Side Salad)
• Chicken Legend
• Chicken Legend with Bacon
• Chicken Selects – 3 or 5 pieces
• Big Tasty
• Big Tasty with Bacon
• The Signature Collection
• Cadbury Creme Egg or Cadbury Caramel McFlurry
• Mozarella Dippers
• Big Flavour Wrap
• Regular Iced Frappé/Iced Fruit Smoothie
• Large Iced Frappé/ Iced Fruit Smoothie
• Shaker Side Salads
• Medium or large hot drinks or drinks served in a bottle or carton
What are the prizes?
As expected, this year’s game board follows the structure of a classic Monopoly board with the green and dark blue property sets carrying the most valuable prizes. This year’s prizes include 15 Mini Coopers, cash prizes, Missguided vouchers and more than 600 hotel stays.
As well as the bigger prizes the game also has over 50,000,000 instant win prizes, which give players free food and drink items, cinema tickets, cash prizes, NowTV passes and more.
Here’s a breakdown of the top prizes:
• Brown set – McDonald’s medium extra value meal – 1,500,000 available
• Light blue set – £30 Missguided voucher – 12,000 available
• Pink set – Wireless speaker – 2,000 available
• Orange set – £250 experience with Red Letter Days – 800 available
• Train set – NowTV smart box and a one year pass – 10,000 available
• Red set – Xbox One console – 400 available
• Yellow set – a trip for four to Universal Orlando – 20 available
• Green set – Mini Cooper – 15 available
• Dark blue set – £100,000 cash – 4 available